Non Modified Cooking Sauces (Curries, Asian, Pasta etc)

Discussion in 'Recipes & Remedies' started by Diggman, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Diggman

Diggman Junior Member

Climate:
    Temperate, always cloudy, lots of rain (& slugs)
    Hello everyone, I thought I'd start a thread for this to ask if anyone would like to share their own recipes? Here in the UK the majority of ready made sauses as mentioned above contain ''Modified Starch / Cornstarch'' I have yet to look into this properly, so far some info says it is a sneaky way of putting GMO's into food here in the UK others say it is not GMO ... so for now I am not buying anything that mentions any Modifications on the label!! I'm not sure what is the situation in your countries regarding GMO's / Labelling etc. Here we have labelling laws but it has restrictions such as size of food package etc (If the package is 10cm or less, it does not have to be labelled - so butter, small pre made potato salad, coleslaw etc. could very well be GMO) :think:

I will come back to post some stuff If I find online.

cheers

2. songbird

songbird Senior Member

gardening, reading, etc
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    -15C-35C, 10cm rain/mo, clay, full sun, K-G Dfa=x=Dfb
    i use a lot of whole milk yogurt as a base for sauces, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, lemon or lime juice, even orange juice at times, tomato, and mustards, also if you have a juicer ground up carrots, beets, cucumber, celery, onions, fennel, etc. also make good bases for some sauces or marinades.

3. pippimac

pippimac Junior Member

In this case, 'modified' refers to processing the starch, not genetic modification https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modified_starch
    But the original corn may have been gm...
    I avoid packaged foods anyway.
    I'm not a big sauce-eater, but I bottled (well, jarred) a big batch of red sauce

Saute onion, add chopped tomatoes, grated zucchini and oregano.
    Season well and cook slowly for an hour or so.
    Add loads of garlic and ladle into hot preserving jars.

4. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Senior Member

For an SE Asian curry
    You need either a mortar and pestle or a stick blender or small food processor or mad knife skills.
    Grab what you have in terms of herbs, spices, add garlic or shallots or dried or fresh chillies ,nuts
    Mash/blend together
    Fry and add protein and a liquid stock/water/coconut milk
    Flavour with any combination of sugar/salt /fish sauce/soy/etc.

When you perfect your flavour combo to your taste buds/wallet/garden you can freeze it in ice cube trays and make it quicker to prepare your meal.

5. Antje

Antje Junior Member

I make a similar tomato sauce (it's kind of important to use olive oil for the frying; adding some fresh basil after it's done cooking also works well), but I only cook it until the tomatoes start falling apart (about 10-15 minutes), and then freeze it. Haven't tried canning yet - I had 33 kg of tomatoes last year, but managed to eat most of it fresh.
    This also works well as a simple meat sauce if you fry some onions and ground pork until the latter is grey, then add the other ingredients or the pre-made tomato sauce.

6. Antje

Antje Junior Member

Well, the point of modified starch is that it's readily dispersible in water, which flour isn't. So if you don't want to use it, you've got to start your white and dark sauces with a roux (basically, flour fried in butter), which is then thinned with broth or wine, and often gets some cream added, plus herbs and spices as necessary. But a roux isn't all that easy - I'm far too lazy to do it, and even my mother prefers using sauce thickener or instant soup to quickly bind the oil-water-spice mix in the pan after frying the vegetables/meat. Maybe you can find a package of basic (= tasteless) sauce thickener that's big enough to require GMO labeling?

Custard powder packs also contain modified starch, if I recall correctly. Though I suppose in that case you could at least substitute semolina.

On the other hand, cold salad sauces are fairly easy. Mostly, you can get away with yoghurt or quark/curd with herbs and spices. Or mayonaise.

7. bluesapphire

bluesapphire Junior Member

I use low fat Philadelphia cream for a variety of sauce bases. Milk thickened with cornflour works well and much easier than roux.

8. 4G's

4G's Junior Member

Honey soy- mix of 50% gm free soy sauce and 50% organic honey. Stir well until its all mixed in. Then pour in stir fry/noodles.

9. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

View attachment 2791 tHIS MY FIRST TRY AT SENDING A DOCUMENT FROM MY DOCUMENTS.
    i APOLOGIZE IF IT DOESEN'T WORK.
    bENJY

Attached Files:

10. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

It worked. Wheeee! Yipeeeee!!! (dancing on my computer desk, papers flying everywhere)

Please forgive my exuberance. I'm heading to my 83rd birthday this December and have about as much computer savvy as my six year old great grandchild has of any number of skills I've accumulated in my lifetime. You have received the first link to my computer's "documents" .
    I know this sounds inane, stupid, itiotic and totally ignorant when I think about it, but, until I found this site I really didn't even know what a blog was. I've been a pencil and paper or typewriter (some of you still remember those antiques) sort until a couple years ago.. The sad part is that my first "link" should have been on "Hello From South Carolina" to the friends I've become close to. They have been supportive of me in my bumbling attempts to adjust to social networking and, because my latest effort had to do with recipies, I came over here to an appropriate site and pulled it out of my documents instead of typing the whole thing over again.

Sometimes I get a little too wordy. excuse the "biographical novel"

Love is the answer,
    Benjy136

11. eco4560

eco4560 New Member

Love your work Ben!

12. Benjy136

Benjy136 Junior Member

Thank you, ECO. I've been "locked out" for about a week and got back to HFSC yesterday. I just put a pot of "stew" to simmer and was looking for some recipies to compare it with. Most of the time it just depends on what is at hand, though his time I went to the market to pick up a few things I was short of. My darln's just about turned the kitchen over to me and getting a chance to enjoy(?) a few "Benjy surprises" She liked my "twice baked potatoes" the day before yesterday. I really believe she's enjoying not having to do any cooking, and with winter coming on, my outside chores are lessening.

I have to go now. As one leper said to the other, "I don't see as much of you as I used to."

Love is the answer

Benjy and Willie

13. Diggman

Diggman Junior Member

Climate:
    Temperate, always cloudy, lots of rain (& slugs)
    Well, thanks everyone for your individual inputs :)

Regarding the Modified Starches etc, I did contact a food producer and eventually they admitted that the process is a chemical one, so sure it's not GM but still, seems like something I still want to avoid anyway.

Cheers everyone