Mollison MP3s - 47 Hours of Listening.

Discussion in 'Buy, sell, trade, give away & exchange' started by permacultureplants, Nov 16, 2006.

1. FREE Permaculture

FREE Permaculture Junior Member

Was happy to move on, i did edit my posts before too many read them :)

but since i was still being quoted i jumped back on, they had there chance to leave it, not my decision, i'm not just gonna sit and watch them continue to criticise me or my opinion when it wasn't ever there anymore!
    it was the're choice in the end, so talk to them, not me.

it works both ways.. if i say it's a rip off then he say's i should get a job and pay for it or i'm talking through my arse then who's in the wrong? just me or does it work both ways?

If i complain of the price of a big mac in a forum, would I get ronald mcdonald logging on to justify his prices?
    no, because ronald doesn't care about one or a few people having an opinion, he still sells lots of big macs.

bottom line is, muzz, if you think this thread is attacking him personally or anything, you have the power to just delete it and go back to the first post where he starts it and then lock it so no opinions can be added, it can just be an ad and that's that. why not just do that?

and yeah, that's great that you are making a bit on the side, so you should, your making money from big biz' paying to advertise on your site.
    at no cost to us, so in the end, permaculture wins 'cos were still here for free!

you have the power muzz, delete it all or delete just the negatives, whatever.

2. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

Thanks for that info Jeff - puts the whole thing into perspective in my view. I don't know whether I will end up purchasing a copy at $70, but I respect your right to charge that.

Floot - I recall there was quite a lot of whinging in the early days about Joel charging for his knowledge regarding aquaponics. Some of this generates from people who just don't want to pay for stuff, but others like to know a bit more about what they are paying for before they commit - particularly when a concept is relatively foreign to them. As I said in an earlier post, I didn't buy Joel's book until after I already knew most of what was in it (and probably more). Purchasing it was paying my dues - which I am happy to do.

I am glad that I bit the bullet and decided to spend some money on Aquaponics - and I have spent quite a bit to date. I expect that if I purchase the BM DVD, I will also be glad of this. Would have to buy a MP3 player as well - so I could listen on the boring train rides to work and back :).

BTW - I expect Joel offers a discount to forum members, perhaps a small discount by Jeff to forum members would clinch some sales, then on the other hand maybe after all the gab on this thread Jeff would like to charge forum members more :lol: .

3. permaculture.biz

permaculture.biz Junior Member

https://cli.re/RWPlace
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Global
    G'day,

The USD$40 is quite reasonable in my book. The Permaculture Designers Manual (PDM) is now something like AUD$130 retail. A PDC is something like AUD$1000-1500 these days. The 70 odd student Mollison:Lawton course is $1500 plus GST and is non-residential with a cut lunch, a cuppa and some bikkies that is going on as we speak.....

Perspective is required here and a good dose of manners above all else. Some of the language used has been quite unnecessary to say the least....

There are market prices for things - if Jeff wants to discount things then that is up to him - just like it is up to Tagari to discount the price of the PDM for bulk purchases or to retailers. Geoff Lawton and I discount our course rates for some convenors as appropriate. I discount my consultancy rates all of the time to help people out. But that is up to me and is what my business can bear as I get paid well by some. The same for Jeff Nugent and for Joel Malcolm now that he has been drawn into this crazy little sortie.

Given the lines are well and truly drawn and we know each others opinions can we move on to not waste any more time on posturing and negative crap and perhaps move to talking about something else regarding this work - certainly not a good advertisement for this wonderful site and a definite waste of oxygen and bandwidth.

I am now going to start a new thread that restarts the conversation with regards the content of this, in my view, important release....

Ciao,

Darren Doherty

(sans nom de plume)

4. Richard on Maui

Richard on Maui Junior Member

Darren,
    Perhaps you have a vested interest in wanting to prevent further discussion of this particular subject?
    We will often disagree with one another about a lot of things, especially regarding ethics, and it is precisely those things that we need dialogue about, in my humble opinion.
    I don't think it is all that constructive to label a point of view as negative and irrelevant and demand that it be swept under the rug. Nothing to see here!
    I disagree with some of what these people have said, but to some degree I would uphold their general point of view. I think there are a diverse range of opinions on the matter here on this forum and in the Permaculture community at large.
    :D
    Richard

5. Richard on Maui

I am all for a discussion of the content of the cd though. :D Where is the thread?

6. Richard on Maui

Oh okay, I found it!

7. permaculture.biz

Home Page:
    Climate:
    Global
    G'day,

Richard,

First up I have no vested interest and for anyone who knows me I would know that I would declare this from the outset - quite frankly I'm quite surprised and somewhat taken aback by that comment. I've never met Jeff and have only talked to him thru this forum and we swapped some seeds some years back.

Secondly what has got me sucked into this (and I usually resist the bait) is that in my opinion this discourse (for want of a better word) is leaving a bad taste all round and that's its by nature a waste of energy. I am not adversarial by nature and find it difficult personally to appreciate this characteristic of people in general life, though I agree with you that different strokes for different folks etc.

Thirdly, It is not my position to say or demand what or who should be spoken about or speak - merely to myself express the view that this discussion has vanquished to the point of being unnecessarily rude and disrespectful of the actualised efforts of people like Jeff, which are considerably more than most....

So to take my own advice I will move on myself, acknowledge your comments for their substance and respectfully withdraw from this thread.

Thanks,

Ciao,

Darren Doherty

8. Shack Living

Shack Living Junior Member

I know its none of my business, but I can't help but wonder what goes into bills pocket for each copy sold? especially given that the agreement was a long time ago. :? :)

9. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy Junior Member

That's a bit of a personal question.

10. Richard on Maui

Just to clarify, the vested interest I referred to with Darren was that he is a teacher and a consultant, so I meant it in a general way, rather than that he was connected to Permaculture Plants. I have explained this to him privately and I hope there is no animosity. Just expressing a viewpoint! Not trying to create or perpetuate any schisms or rifts!

11. permacultureplants

permacultureplants Junior Member

Bill gets paid author's royalties which is expressed as a percentage of retail, exactly the same as publishers pay their authors royalties. The only thing that has changed from now to then is the retail value of the audio set, which is much cheaper and the dollar is not worth as much. Bill set the percentage in the first place and I agreed. The percentage is between Bill, me and the Taxation Department.

12. permaculture.biz

Home Page:
    Climate:
    Global
    G'day,

For the record I hold no animose or grudges.....Any student of geology understands the futility of such wastes of energy in spite of it all....

Funny when I first went to Viet Nam I asked a former Viet Cong soldier, now Biotechnology Professor, if he held any grudge towards the Americans - he said only against Kennedy, Nixon, Kissinger and MacNamara! I lost my father (when I was an infant) in that conflict and believe me you've gotta get over it - no matter how large it is - wars start that way....

Holy schism Batman!

Ciao,

Darren J. Doherty

13. Richard on Maui

14. ho-hum

ho-hum New Member

To clear the record, I asked about royalties etc. It was never aimed at 'tripping' anyone up. It was all about 'insight'. My first contact with 'Mollison' was in about 1989 when I 'paid good money', ie, my time, and let 2 staff members and a lotta students attend a Permie Course that ran from a Skillshare Project I was president of.

Most people operate off a profit motive. I believe that makes you a 'worker', I have never operated off those confines, which makes me an 'employer' or 'sharer'.

If we Permies all belonged to the 'teaching' class or the 'worker' class or like me, in the 'exploiter' class, it would be a narrowly deliniated and sad world.

So, like Jeff, should I use my skills and foresight to enthuse folk or even employ people. Or should I be like them?

floot

15. Susan

Susan Junior Member

Mollison DVD

Jeff,
    Since I recieved my copy I have been avidly listening.
    I love the facts and figures even if they are out of date they have given me much to research.
    Thankyou
    Susan

16. Geoff Lawton

Geoff Lawton Administrator Staff Member

Fantastic Job Jeff

Thank you Jeff
    you have done a great job.

It is a fantastic piece of work.

Real people like yourself do the kind of work that actually does get a result.

You deserve all the the cedit and we know the Bill Mollison fully supports you.

Keeo up the great work.

Cheers Geoff and Nadia Lawton

Grace Pignatello likes this.
  17. Grace Pignatello

Grace Pignatello Member

Urban Site Manager, Homeschooling Mom
    Home Page:
    Climate:
    Desert
    Thank you Jeff for making these available to all of us. I can't wait to get them!
    https://www.permacultureplants.net/Audio/aquaculture.htm