Konnichiwa from Hiroshima Japan

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Thomas Kloepfer, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Thomas Kloepfer

Thomas Kloepfer New Member

Climate:
    Cool temperate wet forest biome
    hey to everyone, I have been farming and living in Japan for the last five years. The last month I have been inspired by many words of wisdom from several presenters in videos and podcasts regarding permaculture. I am hoping to dive a little deeper and network out more. As we get into this years growing season I look forward to checking what others are doing and sharing what we are into at our pitchfork farm. We are growing a little bit of everything from cotton and hops, and apples to mandarins on the island of Mukaishima, Onomichi. Wild boar roam the hills and if they aren't on a plate they are in my sweet potatoes....ganbarimasu!

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Greetings Thomas and welcome,
    From your description it sounds as though you're an adherent to Masanobu Fukuoka's approach to farming. It must be very beautiful on your small island near the sea, if the presence of wild boar is any indication. Very interested in hearing about your work and approach!

3. Thomas Kloepfer

Thomas Kloepfer New Member

Climate:
    Cool temperate wet forest biome
    Yes, Fukuoka's approach is very unique and one of the main reasons I wanted to come to Japan. His farm is not so far from me, just across the seto inland sea. Although he is no longer a live his words and impact are still appreciated amomgst many farmers I have met here. I am hoping to put his rice growing style into practice this year.

4. allyann

allyann Member

Climate:
    warm and temperate, coastal
    Welcome Thomas. Do you have any photos of your pitchfork farm as I would love to see them :)

~allyann~