Greetings from Belgium

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by David Vicente, Dec 26, 2016.

?

Are you :

1. vegan

2. vegetarian

3. Omnivore

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. David Vicente

David Vicente New Member

Climate:
    Temperate climate cfb
    Hi all,

I lived/studied/worked in a concrete jungle for the first 24 years of my life.
    Last 6 years i have traveled around in Europe being kinda homeless searching for my goal in life and forming my own well based perspective of life.
    I'm a snowboard teacher that is heavily into backcounty snowboarding and there i fell in love with nature

The road that took me here (permaculture) was long but i think i finally made it
    i have been busy last couple of months with sustainable living.
    It all started with a documentary on nat geo about our food production and the effects it has on the land air and sea's.
    So read every study i could find because you never know if the info you get is correct.
    Stopped eating meat for 3 days in the week, started with Entomophagy ( breed them myself) and a wormery for my kitchen waste.
    i wanted to go even further and supply myself with some fresh food.
    I started with a bottle farm and tower garden in a small apartment in the city.
    and throughout all the research i did i came in contact with permaculture.

i'm also busy with a blog/site that will be up around April.
    It will be all about sustainability living inside our busy life's, cooking, community building on local scale but foremost ''start with yourself'' principle,mixed in with my view of the world we are living in. hoping to inspire a younger generation.
    In june i will get interviewed by the firm that is in control of our garbage disposal they told me they could not find young ppl that are busy with a wormery for example a,d they are building a campaign to motivate younger
    In the future i will also lobby to give presentations in high school's about Entomophagy

But now why am i on this forum.
    i will be leaving the city for the suburbs in the end of january. well i don"t know if you can call it suburbs. it's a 2000m² piece of ground that is a small forest now and i want to build a food Forrest there and be fully self sustained. Since i'm a city guy that studied marketing and finance i think i will need all the help i can find. especially with the design.

Because i alrdy knew making lot's of money doesn't bring happiness, and you can't take anything with you when your light goes out. i want to be sure that when my light goes out i had a positive influence on the planet and hopefully convert some ppl to take off their blinkers so they see every action has a consequence.

Lot's of passion and high hope's so let's hope we can make it true.

English is not my native language but i hope it's not to bad :D,
    so eventually my blog will be in Dutch but i'll translate it for this forum if there are ppl interested.

2. mischief

mischief Senior Member

s/e
    Climate:
    Cool mountain
    Hi David,
    No, your English is pretty good.
    You have been busy!!!
    There is a wealth of information here if you would like to make use of the search engine.
    All the best with your new food forest. I look forward to hearing how you dget on with it.

3. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Hi David and welcome,
    Great introduction. Do you forage in addition to "growing your own" in your entomophagy adventures? We tried grasshoppers here one year when their numbers were extremely high ... must be an acquired taste. o_O
    Lots of interest in your food forest plans, maybe you could post up some photos or a google earth snapshot of your property?

4. allyann

allyann Member

Climate:
    warm and temperate, coastal
    Hi David and welcome. I will follow your journey with much interest. Good luck working out your design for your new property :)

5. David Vicente

David Vicente New Member

Climate:
    Temperate climate cfb
    Ty for the Kind words all.
    Still kinda hectic at the moment, because i needed to be in Italy but now i'm back.
    Did some research while the rest was out drinking (thank god the internet was kinda steady in my hotel)

@ the Gandalf i did not forage the food for the worms myself because i don't got the place where i live now.
    I ate grasshoppers multiple time's in my life (love them covered in Belgian chocolate) but at my place i was experimenting with meal-worms.
    (https://www.feedipedia.org/node/16401) they lived in a tower with different compartments this way i had a (kind of ) continues supply of edible larves.

it's just a start maybe the history etc is not really necessary but thought it was nice to know for myself

Design new garden:

Site statistics:

Lat/Long: 51.031242 / 5.376545 Northern hemisphere

Climate Cfb
    Distance from ocean 150Km
    Winter
    -Sun angle 12.55
    -Average Temp(°C) 4
    -Temp (°C) min -12 max +10
    -Hours of sun 2,8 h average
    -Rain 280 mm
    -Frost days 40