Building a Cob Studio/Granny Flat in the backyard

Discussion in 'Designing, building, making and powering your life' started by Cobby, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Cobby

Cobby Junior Member

Gudday!
    Been ages since I've posted, nearly 2 years, but I keep an eye on threads.
    I've conceived of a mad plan to build a cob granny flat in the backyard of our 1/3 acre block in Ipswich, SE Qld. I was gobsmacked to find that council have recently cleared the way for granny flats up to 65sqm! I've done a fair bit of research and sketching, and spoken to earthen builders. I spent entirely too much money to fly down to Sydney and catch a train to Berry, to do a 4 day Cob walling workshop with Peter Hickson, of Earth Building Solutions in November last year. Then in December we drove up to the Sunshine Coast for 2 days cobbing at a hybrid cob house in the hills of Maleny.
    Now I have to get down to the hard graft of actually getting plans approved.
    I hope to have a 65sqm round 2 bedroom house with a mezzanine, topped by a reciprocal sod roof. I have drawn up one from a plan I found on the 'net.
    Cobby

2. davidcarrillo

davidcarrillo New Member

There are certain rules made by government if within our backyard like Floor area of the granny flat must stay within council regulations which is average 60 square meters,granny flat must also meet all the planning controls, environmental plans and building codes also a granny flats can’t be built on Strata title, subdivided or community titled property.

3. warriorqueen1961

warriorqueen1961 New Member

Granny Flats - Ipswich ...

Cobby

Checkout ipswichgrannyflats for information that you will find very useful - by the time you've finished looking at the site, it will give you a good idea of what the council requires ...

4. calvinfisher

calvinfisher New Member

Before construction you can also have look at few marvelous designs at granny flats sydney. You can also consult Granny Flat Solutions for any query.

5. JohnMK

JohnMK New Member

Climate:
    Sunny
    Love the idea of building with cob. (If any readers are not sure what that looks like check on https://au.pinterest.com) I don’t know if they deal with this kind of build, but if you still need advice I would say check out https://www.grannyflatfinder.com.au/. I know they have contacts in your area at least.
    Hope to see some pictures when you get it finished.