Hey there beautiful gardeners.. :)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself Here' started by Yaaru, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Yaaru

Yaaru New Member

A little info about myself;

My name is Ursin, i'm from Southern Switzerland (italian part), and i'm about to be 20 years old. I speak fluently English, German and Italian, plus a little bit of French.

I have been interested in permaculture for quite some time now. I'm not a big fan of how people are living these days, and i have been wanting to go back to a wilder way of life, of building a vegetable jungle from which i could feed myself and those around me in a more harmonius way. I did 8 months of Civil Service as a Vegetable Gardener this year in a Bio/Demeter Farm, thing is they would work in a very conventional way, burning down weeds with flame throwers, taking out every little herb that was not the one they wanted to grow in that specific place which i did not lile very much. Nonetheless i learned some basics there (i don't know how many of them are gonna be useful). Some time ago i read Masanobu Fukuoka's "One Straw Revolution", which i loved, and now i'm starting "The Natural Way of Farming" (also by Fukuoka) which is a little more practical. The thing is that here in Switzerland we have a very different climate than Japan, and i also don't really know where to start, so i'm looking for a place where i could learn more about permaculture and start practicing it.

A few questions;
    I'm looking for a working/experience place where i can learn more about Permaculture in Switzerland, Nothern Italy or any other similiar climate. Is this the right place to ask?

I know some farmers here where i live, should i just start by myself using Fukuoka's Methods?

If yes, should i wait for the end of Winter/Early Spring or is there stuff to be done now if you're preparing for next year?

Lots of love,

Ursin

2. 9anda1f

9anda1f Administrator Staff Member

Climate:
    Semi-Arid Shrub Steppe (BsK)
    Greetings Ursin and welcome,
    Have you looked into Sepp Holzer's work in Austria?
    Check out the Worldwide Permaculture Network to find others near you perhaps doing similar work: https://permacultureglobal.org/