No announcement yet.

Yield of permaculture systems compared to organic gardens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go to the Australian Diggers resources on 'mini-plots'.

Comment

Originally posted by Grahame View Post
      I would have to weigh my wife and daughter every time they left the house and then again upon returning from the garden. The chances of a strawberry or a raspberry making it to a set of scales are almost non-existent.
      The hilarious thing about this method is that it would actually work! ha!

Comment

Originally posted by craigembleton View Post
        Hi All
        I'm currently researching and essay (for a Masters Degree) about the environmental gains from transforming UK suburban gardens into permaculture systems. I'm trying to quantify the produce yield (actual weight of crop) per unit area and wondered if anyone out there knew of any permaculture studies. It's not that difficult to get hold of data related to the weight of vegetables that can be grown on an alloment for example, or the weight of sweet chestnuts (or other forest crops) that can be produced per unit area. However, one of the great advantages of permaculture, as you all know, is the production of crops on different layers. Has anyone out there measured their yields over a season and would be prepared to share their information with me? Temperate climate data would be ideal, but any would be helpful.
        Many thanks
        Craig
        Yield of permaculture systems compared to organic gardens
        Difficult question.
        define "yield" for example.
        have a look at a couple of the threads here on forest gardening the three sisters gardening ( Which "yields" all the amino acids we need for life.) and other traditional ways of producing useful stuff, like food and medicine.

Some great tragedies have happened in the pursuit of bigger numbers (one way of looking at 'yield"). For example the UN/USAs misguided attempt to abolish traditional terraced gardens in S. America and replace them with broad acre tractor-tilled farms.
        Above all else sustainability and long term protection of the environment and soil should be a part of the equation that defines "yield".

As a PG student i am surprised that your institutional library does not have a service where they can get/borrow the articles you want from other universities who do subscribe to the journals you want. this is what happens in Australia, where costs preclude libraries subscribing to all known journals.

Let us know how you fare.
        Last edited by Michaelangelica; 08-07-2010, 10:20 AM.
        "You can fix all the world's problems in a garden. .Most people don't know that" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sohI6vnWZmk
        Music can solve all the world's problems. Not many people know that- MA 2005
        "Politicians will never solve 'The Problem' because they don't realise that they are the problem" R Parsons 2001

Comment

define "yield" for example.
          Good point. Is it only what most people would define as edibles that would count in the yield? Or the green manure and mulch-ables that you grow that mean you don't need to replace them with bought in stuff. Is it the edible weeds? And the edible but not usually considered as edible parts of plants (like pumpkin or sweet potato leaves). Is it the eggs from your chooks? And the chook poo that means you don't need to buy Dynamic Lifter?

Comment

Currently reading:

Mullins, P. & Kynaston, C. (2000) 'The Household Production of Subsistence Goods: The Urban Peasant Thesis Reassessed', in Troy, P. (ed) A History of European Housing in Australia. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, pp. 142-63.

In the above, Mullins & Kynaston compare 'household production' (code name for permaculture yields) from Australian and NZ households across the later half of the C20.

Google Books have pp. 144-6 available here.

I can't find a full (free) copy online, but maybe your local library can help you? Either way, it (the entire book) is an informative and enjoyable read.
            MRC Planning Research and Development ~ truly sustainable urban, rural and environmental planning outcomes

The History of Regional Planning in Australia ~ a research project

Currently reading: Ballinger (2012) An Inch of Rain: A Water History of Northern Victoria

Comment

Working...
            X