Seed Freedom, Film Clips and an Open Day
It is now International Seed Freedom Fortnight of Action! And we now have over 1000 clips on our channel at www.youtube.com/seedsavers.
Michel and Jude Fanton are celebrating the Fortnight of Seed Freedom Action with several events in Sydney in October:
Sunday 7th: Diversify your Garden Workshop at Karonga School, Epping. 9am to 4pm
- Increase your perennials: how to collect and propagate from cuttings, tubers, rhizomes, etc.
- Adaptation of varieties to your garden.
- Wild food harvesting including weeds, fungi fruits and bamboo.
- How to save your own seeds.
- Seed and plant swap – bring some of your plants and seeds to swap.
- And much more…
$69 includes workshop fee, organic lunches, morning and afternoon teas and all course materials. Run by Permaculture Sydney Institute.
Monday 8th: Interview on ABC Radio National
Wed 10th to Fri 12th Oct: Australian City Farms and Community Gardens Network Gathering at Randwick Sustainability Centre, on the theme of:
- growing food
- transforming place
- creating culture … celebrating community one lettuce at a time
Friday 12th: Fantons give keynote on Seed to Seed Gardens at ACFCGN Gathering 9 to 11am.
Friday 12th: 6-8pm Conversation with Costa Georgiadis at 107 Redfern Street, Redfern. Free event. Run by Milkwood Permaculture.
Saturday 13th: Seed Saving 101 Workshop at Alexandria Park Community Centre:
Join Jude and Michel Fanton, Australian pioneers of seed saving networks, skills and knowledge, for a hands-on day of seed saving know-how.
This workshop will suit anyone interested in best-practice seed saving for their home and community, as well as anyone wanting to learn more about the ongoing challenges of seed sovereignty that face communities across the globe. This practical workshop will take you through the details of basic seed saving in the hands of the experts, covering:
- seed collection
- distribution of open pollinated seed varieties
Students are encouraged to bring seed material with them to this workshop, as we will be actively going through the many stages of seed saving throughout the day.
This unique day is also an opportunity to learn from Jude and Michel what strategies communities are putting in place to save their locally adapted varieties. Run by Milkwood Permaculture.
Sunday 21st Oct: Seed Savers’ Open Garden Day in Byron Bay at 13 Old Bangalow Road.
We shall start early as the garden is nicest then, 8am and finish early too, 3pm.
Tours every half hour (on the hour and on the half-hour) with Michel or Jude Fanton.
- Demonstrations of growing and making your own curry powder/paste ingredients, perennial vegetables, seed collecting, self-seeding plants, and root crop staples.
- See seven types of clumping bamboo, some with delectable shoots.
- Herbal teas (we are a teabag-free zone) from the garden — lemon verbena, lemon balm, lemongrass, mint and lemon myrtle.
- Chickens and mulberries as companions.
- Orchard planted in themes of continent-of-origin.
- All designed on Permaculture principles, to enhance ventilation, shade in summer, light in winter, nutrient cycling and water harvesting.
Cost is $5. 13 Old Bangalow Road, Byron Bay.
Love to see you here!
Best wishes, Jude and Michel